Saturday, 5 January 2013

Interview with... Stephie from Flowapowa Art

Being an art lover and passionate supporter of fellow artists, I thought this year I would include some Interviews with some of my fellow Artists. Today I would like to introduce you to Stephie at Flowapowa Art. 

Stephies work includes a range of both watercolours and oil. This is one of my favourites, it’s a watercolour and I love the power of the waves, beautifully expressed

   
Stephie is very versatile in her work and she also does pet portraits, such as this adorable laid back bunny
 

When asked what inspires her to paint, Stephie says “I'm very eclectic and am inspired by everything and anything - if something catches the light in just the right way it can stop me dead in my tracks. Every season is my favourite, spring is full of fresh greens and yellows, summer is so warm and the sea so inviting, autumn explodes with reds and golds, and this time of year, winter, is full of the most gorgeous sunsets and sunrises.

As a massive fan of both sea and sunsets I can see how passionate Stephie is about conveying the sheer beauty of mother nature and for me this little painting does just that

 

Stephies favourite materials are translucent watercolours on a good quality watercolour paper. Stephie says these are her favourites because “many people expect watercolour paintings to be soft and wishy-washy, whereas in reality you can achieve a huge range of colours, vibrancy and textures”. I fully agree as can be seen in this lovely abstract ACEO using watercolour and wax

 

 Despite only relatively recently setting up shop and selling directly to the public, Stephies work is proving popular especially with commissions, As well as her popular pet portraits, Stephie was commissioned to paint two pubs by a local lady who needed gifts for her twin nephews 50th birthdays. These two paintings were sent all the way to Australia. Stephie has also sold a lily painting to a lady based in Chicago, as an artist myself, I love the idea of our work brining pleasure to people across the globe.

When asked about her plans for 2013, Stephie says “I have some of my popular pet commissions coming up - a cat, three dogs and a budgie are lined up already. I'm really excited about a silk painting workshop that I'm booked onto, I love silk scarves (I'm almost never to be seen without one) so I'm looking forward to being able to create my own designs. Then I want to brush up on my people portrait skills, starting with my kids and maybe working up to doing commissions. But most of all I want to have fun, and paint, paint, paint!”

I would like to thank you Stephie for taking part in my ‘interview with’ enjoy your painting and I wish you continuing success in 2013 and am especially looking forward to seeing your silk scarves.

You can find Stephies work in her folksy shop www.FlowaPowa.folksy.com , follow her blog at www.FlowaPowaArt.com and find her on facebook www.facebook.com/FlowaPowaArt

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this lovely interview. I'm a big fan of Stephie's work and am lucky enough to be able to own a few of her paintings. I'm not in the least surprised that her commissions are popular. I loved those paintings of the pubs you mentioned and the pet commissions I've seen are wonderful too. A very talented and lovely lady, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she paints in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for introducing me to a great artist and shop. The pet portraits are wonderful, in fact a great gift idea for my Mum, she has a Yorkshire Terrier that is like another child to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, so interesting to read and of course some beautiful artwork!
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Max thanks so much for this article, you've done a fab job with it! And thanks for the kind comments that you guys have left too - you've all really made my day :))

    ReplyDelete