Sunday, 28 April 2013

Re-Finding Dressmaking



Okay so I am 2 weeks into the new diet and 4lb down, whoo! I’m trying to make sure I stick to the plan by distracting myself with painting, making jewellery and a re-found hobby – dressmaking..... 
 
After watching the Great British Sewing Bee, I was inspired to dig out and dust off my 20+ year old sewing and over locker machines, they took a bit of dusting and oiling, but I was pleasantly surprised to find they both still worked perfectly, must be several years since either of them got an airing!

I ventured to the local fabric shop, and was both surprised and pleased to find that dressmaking patterns have come a long way since my last pattern purchase (my wedding dress almost 25 years ago!).  I can now buy a pattern that has bra sizes as well as dress sizes, takes the hassle out of adjusting, I love them.  I bought a classic dress pattern and some lovely crisp linen to make a dress with.




Next came the cutting out, this took a few hours as I’m way out of practice I was crawling around the floor pinning and cutting out... ouch for my knees and pin stabs!

As this is an open weave linen I had to overlook all of the pieces before sewing to make sure it didn’t fray and then I started to join the pieces...  So far I have sewn all of the front pieces together and all of the back pieces together and out in the zip.




Now all I have to do is press and then join the front and back together, check for any adjustments and then fit the linings for the arms and neckline...piece of cake I hope! Now all I need is a few more hours in the day to finish.... will post pictures of finished dress soon - wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Great to take up a new hobby, or in your case, rediscover it. Looks like a lovely summer dress. Emma

    ReplyDelete