Sunday, 22 December 2013

Felt - my new crush!

Okay so it's been a while since I posted, my Dad's been poorly and in hospital again and work has been crazy not to mention the commissions and fairs I have done over the past few weeks and the teacher training course I have been on!

At last this week I finished all my commissions, the fairs have ended, Dad's home, work is a little less bonkers for a week or two and the teacher training is almost finished, phew! what a busy few weeks.

So this week I finally had time to chill and relax, so what did I do? well anyone who knows me well will know that I just cannot sit still so I got crafting! One of my commissions was for some Christmas Stockings, never done these before, but what the heck thought I would give it a go and see what I could come up with. This was the result


and yes you guessed it, I now have a serious crush on felt! so I went and bought a stash of different coloured felt and got to work on designing some felt items for my shop.  First up was this cute needle case, combining both felt and embroidery
Next idea I came up with was for a phone cover, first to design the template.  I started by measuring my I-phone and then cut some card to size (the template is placed on folded felt so the design would be double this size)
Then to the design, I find it so much easier to work only on one 'half' and then cut on a fold, that way I get more even work. Here are some of the designs I came up with (Penguin, Hedgehog, Piggie and a Peacock)

I drew a second image on thin paper for the design and different layers and cut those out - I cut two full front sections, this way my stitching would be hidden and the phone screen protected


Then I used these templates to cut the felt and then laid out the beads and sequins for my design,


To begin, I sewed the pattern layers on the front section first and attached the sequins and beads, this way all my stitching would be hidden by the second front layer and the phone protected.

finally I sandwich the three layers together and blanket stitched all the way around
To finish I embroidered some lines in fine gold thread to add detail and here's the finished cover





Here are some other designs I came up with
So far so good and I have commissions for four in the new year including a dog and cat, so more to come. What next, well santa is bringing me a Zutter Machine which I will be using to make small books and albums, I wonder will I be able to combine that with felt??? maybe I'll keep you posted.  

Meantime, thanks for visting and I'll be back in the New Year so for now 













1 comment:

  1. Great blog Max and an interesting insight into how you have designed and made your new phone cases. They are very lovely and clever.
    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete