Monday, 25 January 2016

Craft Diary 2 - January 2016

Hello and welcome to my second craft dairy for 2016.

This week I have been playing around with my cutouts and Scan n Cut Machine designing new work.

First I tried vinyl and it worked like a dream!. I transferred one of my images, a little girl splashing in a puddle which I cut from matt black vinyl, she now stands atop the light switch in my craft room.

 Plenty more ideas for this but I'll save that for another week as I have just ordered a stock of coloured vinyls to try.


 Also this week I have been playing with my alcohol ink's. I have space in an exhibition next week at our local Adult Learning Centre and wanted to do a few ink paintings for display, so whilst I had my inks out I prepared a video (first one ever!) to show you how I create my glittery ink paintings.  I'm not brave enough to speak on camera and the light was not so good so I had to use extra lights which gave a lot of shadows, but I hope it still gives you a good idea of how I create them.

video
For anyone wanting to have a try here's the materials list:-

Alcohol Inks (I have used Adriondak in Pool; Denim and Juniper)
Glitter (I used gold and turquoise)
Alcohol Ink Blending Solution (in a small spray bottle)
Metal leaf or gilding flakes I used Indigo Blu Mega Flakes
Ranger Glossy Accents clear glue (don't use silicon glue)
1 sheet of Acetate
White Tissue Paper
A large brush and sheet of card

Steps:-

1. squeeze glue in random pattern over acetate
2. sprinkle on glitter and metal leaf (as much as you want)
3. give a spritz of alcohol belnding solution all over
4. 'drop' ink in random pattern until acetate is covered
5. scrunch up tissue then lay over the top
6. use brush and card to pat down the tissue
7. Leave to dry (overnight)

The work is meant to be used with the acetate side facing so the ink and tissue is behind.  Use with care as it can be quite delicate. I usually leave the card on the back to help protect it and either mount in a frame or laminate. Tip if you are going to laminate be sure to use 'Heat Resistant' acetate.


I loved the colours in this and thought it would be perfect for some dolphins which I had drawn earlier.

I scanned my drawing into my scan n cut machine and then cut out from 300gsm card.



 

and here's the finished work.  I will trim and frame once it's properly dry.


I hope you enjoyed my second craft diary and video despite the poor lighting!

Thanks for stopping by and see you again in 2 weeks. Happy Crafting!











No comments:

Post a Comment